Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms

For humans, mushrooms have been one of those foods we tend to either love or hate these days, but how about dogs? Many pet owners wonder if they can feed their dogs mushrooms. First, we need to determine if all the mushrooms are toxic to our pets.

So, how to know which mushrooms are toxic to dogs. Check out this article to learn about everything we need to know about dogs and mushrooms.

Are mushrooms toxic to dogs?

Not all the mushrooms are safe. In fact, several wild mushrooms are toxic. They can lead to serious consequences such as vomiting, kidney failure, disorientation, tremors, and seizures. Sometimes, they even can cause death.

How to identify toxic mushrooms

If your four-legged friend finds a mushroom growing in the wild, it’s best to keep him away from it. In fact, it’s not easy to determine toxic mushrooms because of the fact that some species of mushrooms may change their toxicity from year to year as an ASPCA report on mushroom toxicity notes. That’s why it’s really not easy to identify which mushrooms are safe and not safe for dogs.

In North America, we can see several toxic mushroom species. The most toxic one is the Amanita species of mushroom. They are the reason for fatal mushroom poisoning in dogs. They cause 95% of mushroom-related fatalities in people, according to the ASPCA reports.

These mushrooms are actually very attractive to our four-legged friend since they are known for their fishy odor.

Things to Do When Your Dog Ingest a Wild Mushroom

If you notice your furry friend eats any type of wild mushroom, don’t hesitate, act immediately!

Seek Care

If you think your pet has eaten a wild mushroom, it’s important to look for veterinary care immediately. The fact is that your pet can show signs of toxicity between 15 minutes. It normally occurs after 6-12 hours of ingestion.

According to Dr. Loenser, it’s important to take your pet to your vet immediately if he eats a wild mushroom even when he is not yet showing any symptoms.

Bring Samples

If possible, you should bring a sample of mushrooms with you in order to aid in identification. Thanks to it, you can get supportive care for your dog from your vet. If your vet is showing signs of poisoning, it’s time to think about recommending hospitalization.

If are looking for a hospital accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association, we recommend you to visit aaha.org/locate. In order to transport the sample to the vet, it’s a good idea to wrap the sample of mushrooms in a moist paper towel instead of keeping it in a plastic bag.

Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Depending on the species of mushroom, the symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs are different. Of course, certain mushroom species have different toxins that bring different effects to dogs.

For example, Amanita mushrooms are known for amanitin toxins. They cause severe GI symptoms, and they even can lead to acute kidney injury, and death. Other types of Amanita mushrooms are the causes of tremors, sedation, and seizures, but they don’t cause death.

There are a few common symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs such as vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, salivation, coma, ataxia, lethargy, seizures, jaundice, liver failure, abdominal pain, and death.

How to prevent dogs from eating wild mushrooms in the first place

In order to keep your dog safe from mushroom poisoning in dogs, you need to follow these steps below:

  • Spring Cleaning: Clean your yard in order to remove any and all mushrooms.
  • Monitor: mushrooms are able to grow fast, so it’s important to monitor your yard often in order to prevent mushrooms from starting growing.
  • Supervise: when you let your pet be outside, remember to always supervise him. Don’t leave him unattended in your yard. If you are walking your pet to parks where mushrooms may grow, don’t forget to keep him on his leash.

Can Dogs Eat Store-Bought Mushrooms?

As mentioned above, wild mushrooms may be toxic to your dogs, but how about store-bought mushrooms like portabello mushrooms?

According to Dr. Justine A. Lee, mushrooms found in chain grocery stores are safe for dogs. However, pet owners prefer to smother mushrooms with delicious sauces, seasonings, and oils. This leads to another set of problems for dogs.

There are some things that can be harmful to dogs such as butter, oils, certain vegetables, and seasoning. If you want to give your pet mushrooms, you will need to serve plain. It’s best to avoid feeding your dog mushroom since they are not necessary for his diet. Instead, you can give your pet a different reward such as a slice of apple or a carrot stick.

Conclusion

In conclusion, there are so many complicated food groups, including mushrooms. Actually, you can let your dog eat mushrooms as part of their diet. Most importantly, you have to be careful when choosing the type of mushrooms your dog can eat.

Like any other food, this option may be good or bad for your four-legged friend. We advise you to give your dog the mushroom in a moderate amount. This can help to give him lots of health benefits. Don’t feed him too many mushrooms.

Leave a Reply